Saturday, October 04, 2008

Pledge to Practice Non-Violence

 

"Take this Pledge on October 2nd, the "International Day of Non-violence".  If you are unable to do it on that day, do it the moment you read this. Do it alone or with others.   We will be happy if you let us know that you have taken this Pledge.  Thank you !"
 
Pledge to Practice Non-Violence
 

Most loving God, and all friends of Non-Violence and Peace :   I recognize the violence in my own heart, yet I trust in the goodness and forgiveness of God.  I wish to walk in the Spirit of Peace.  I wish to walk in the company of all the women and men  who have lived  the way of non-violence, justice, peace and truth.  I wish to walk in the company of those charismatic bearers of Truth and of Non-Violence, very specially Mahatma Gandhi, whose birth anniversary we celebrate today.
 

Therefore, before God the Creator, the Sanctifying Spirit, and in the company of all Peacemakers, I ______________________ pledge for one year, beginning this day, to practice Nonviolence.
 

• by acting with persistent non-violence, to resist every form of injustice and violence -by myself and / or by others.
 
• by acting to remove the causes, and heal the effects of violence;
 
• by striving for peace within myself, and seeking to be a Peacemaker in my daily life;
 
• by accepting suffering in the pursuit of justice rather than inflicting it;
 
• by refusing to retaliate in the face of provocation and violence, returning forgiveness for harm, while continuing to insist and stand up for the Truth as far as it is known to me;
 
• by living conscientiously, and simply, so that I do not deprive others of the means to live;
 
• by working constantly, and non-violently, to abolish war and the causes of war, from my own heart, and from the face of the earth.
 
• by doing everything possible to ensure that justice, truth, non-violence and peace, be the values cherished and lived by every single citizen.
 

God of Peace and Justice, I trust in Your sustaining love and believe that just as You gave me the grace and desire to offer this Pledge, so will You also bestow on me, the abundant grace to fulfill it.
 
 
' PRASHANT '
(A Centre for Human Rights, Justice and Peace)
Near Kamdhenu Hall
Drive-in Road,   Ahmedabad   380 052
Gujarat, India
Tel:   91  79 66522333 /27455913 * Fax:  91 79 27489018
Email: 
sjprashant@gmail.com * www.humanrightsindia.in
 

No comments: